Position: Learning Technologist
Contract: Permanent Full Time
Reports to: Head of Digital Learning
Hibernia College is Ireland’s only government-accredited online learning college and the country’s leading primary and post-primary teaching institution. We also specialise in postgraduate and continuing professional development (CPD) programmes for students and teaching professionals across the globe. The college is an established leader in pioneering new education technologies and embracing change in the ever-evolving world of education. We are currently researching and planning for our next-generation digital learning environment and are looking for a learning technologist with a strong record of delivering innovative solutions to be part of this strategic team.
The Learning Technologist will provide expertise on the optimum use of technologies to deliver the College’s digital learning strategy. The candidate will have a detailed understanding of the capabilities of the Moodle learning management system (LMS) and be a source of advice on its use for pedagogical purposes. He or she will also need familiarity with other systems in the VLE, including Office 365, Articulate 360, Urkund, as well as leading webinar and collaboration technologies. The candidate will work closely with College departments to research, evaluate and help deploy new learning technologies as part of the College’s initiative to develop a next-generation digital learning environment.
Strategy and research
· Contribute to the development of strategy, policies and procedures by identifying needs and opportunities for the deployment of learning technologies
· Actively keep abreast of developments in learning technologies and review those that offer potential for enhancing the College’s offering.
· Work closely with the College’s Digital Learning and IT departments to identify new learning technology components that will form the College’s long-term next-generation digital learning environment.
· Undertake research, for example through publications and conference presentations based on collaborative projects with colleagues.
· Draw upon, and contribute to, the development of practices in the field of learning technology through engagement with the wider learning technology and higher education communities at national and international level.
· Initiate, manage, monitor and formally evaluate learning technology projects and initiatives.
Engagement and training
· Provide pedagogic advice, encouragement and support on the use of technology to staff and faculty involved in programme development and delivery.
· Create online and face-to-face training, guidelines, and instructions as needed
· Organise workshops and collaborative projects that enhance the college’s use of learning technologies
· Liaise with departments across the College, in particular the academic teams involved in programme delivery, to increase awareness of existing practices and enable the exchange of ideas and experience in digital learning.
· Help develop the digital skills of staff, faculty and students.
· Represent the College externally on groups, committees and panels where required.
· Work closely with the Head of Digital Learning and the Director of IT to explore the potential of new technologies under review by the College and evaluate their capabilities.
· Develop an in-depth understanding of the capabilities of existing College learning technologies and ensure that the College is optimising their use.
· Develop a comprehensive understanding of the workings of the departments that comprise the College in order to advise them on technological solutions to improve effectiveness and efficiency.
· Test new VLE developments to ensure compliance with specification and requirements.
· Present to students, staff and faculty on the operation and function of the VLE when required.
· Support the College’s learning analytics initiative.
· Work closely with multimedia designers to develop AR/VR and 360-degree video learning content.
· Work closely with the Technical Support Team to troubleshoot issues with the College’s VLE.
· Lead the College’s Moodle grading initiative by working closely with academic teams to develop online grading forms, define Moodle grade calculations, import/export grades, write support documentation, organise and deliver regular training and troubleshoot issues.
· Other such duties relevant to the role.
· Relevant third level qualification, ideally in applied technology.
· At least 5 years’ experience in a learning and teaching technology support role, preferably with project management experience.
· In-depth working knowledge of LMSs, in particular Moodle and its grading and analytics features
· Experience of working with Articulate 360, Urkund, Power BI, collaboration platforms, and popular VLE technologies is desirable
· A curious and open mind set with a genuine enthusiasm for exploring new technologies and exploiting their potential
· Strong interpersonal skills with a proven ability to bring people on board with new initiatives and maintain momentum therewith
· Strong analytical skills and an aptitude for systems thinking.
· A positive and professional attitude
· A history of on-time and quality delivery of projects
To apply, please e mail a comprehensive CV and supporting letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for receipt of applications is Monday 27th May 2019