Become a post-primary teacher
So, you’ve decided you want to become a post-primary teacher. Here, we give our best advice on for how to complete the Subject Declaration Forms that are required for the PME application and The Teaching Council. These are the forms The Teaching Council will use to register you as a teacher upon completion of the PME programme. Think of these Subject Declaration Forms as the key to unlocking that last door before becoming a registered post-primary teacher.
We advise that you determine if you meet your curricular subject requirements before you start the application process. It can take some time to collect your documents, and you may need to revert to your Level 8 institution. Give yourself plenty of time so that you are not in a rush before the PME application deadline.
Get your Level 8 degree transcripts
In order to complete Subject Declaration Forms, make sure you have your degree transcripts from your Level 8 degree. Transcripts are a breakdown of the results you received in each module for each year of your degree. These must clearly outline module titles, ECTS credits and/or module codes or descriptors.
If your transcripts don’t include ECTS credits and/or module codes or descriptors, you’ll need to request them from your awarding institution. You will also need to contact your awarding institution if you earned your degree before 2006 or abroad. We can provide you with template letters to send to your awarding institution.
Choose your subjects
What subjects are you hoping to teach as a post-primary teacher? Your subject knowledge and eligibility to teach your chosen subject(s) will be evaluated at your PME interview.
Here is a helpful guide:
- If you hold at least 60 ECTS credits and meet all Teaching Council requirements in at least one subject, this is considered your first subject.
- If you hold 40 or more ECTS credits in another subject, we recommend you select this as your second subject. You will need to upload a Subject Declaration Form for this subject also.
- If you hold less than 40 ECTS credits in a subject, we offer a ‘Digital Tech T&L’ course in lieu of a second subject. Contact us for more information about this option.
Complete Subject Declaration Forms
- Answer all the questions in the yes/no section of the Subject Declaration Forms.
- Enter the module codes, module titles and ECTS credit value from your Level 8 degree transcript into the lined sections of the Subject Declaration Forms titled ‘Essential Areas of Study’ and ‘Optional Areas of Study’.
- Enter the sum of the total ECTS credits into the box provided.
- If you have chosen a language, you must provide evidence of linguistic competency and proof of residency.
- List the PME programme(s) to which you are applying in the section at the end of the form.
- Include your name, date and written signature or e-signature.
- Keep in mind that the document must be legible and in correct order. You’ll want to put your best foot forward because not only will these forms be evaluated in your PME application, but The Teaching Council will also review these forms to register you as a post-primary teacher.
Have any questions?
Our enrolment advisors are available if you have any questions about completing the Subject Declaration Forms. Feel free to contact us Monday to Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning (01) 661 0168 (option two).