Return to Site

What is learner protection?

In 2012 the Irish government introduced a legally binding requirement for private colleges to protect their enrolled learners through the Qualifications and Quality Assurance (Education and Training) Act 2012. As a result of this legislation Quality and Qualifications Ireland cannot validate a programme unless Learner Protection arrangements are in place for the programme.  Arrangements by providers for the protection of enrolled learners are governed by Section 65 (4) of the 2012 Act.

What is learner protection insurance?

Learner Protection Insurance means that in the event that a college closes before the completion of your course that the college providing the course must have a mechanism in place to either ensure you are placed into another college to complete your course or for you to receive a refund of fees last paid.

O’Driscoll O’Neil Insurance Brokers (ODON), in conjunction with Hiscox, a multi-national “A” rated insurance company, have designed an insurance product to meet these requirements. This product is for the benefit of you, the student, and is one of the few recognised insurance products on the market which provides this type of cover.

Does this mean my college is in financial trouble?

No, the fact that your college has in place learner protection insurance arrangements provides you with added financial protection in the unlikely event of a college failure, in a similar manner to standard practice in other industries.  Your college has elected to meet a mandatory government requirement through a recognised and regulated financial product and this in turn stands to you, the student.

How does learner protection work?

Following payment of the premium to ODON by the college on your behalf ODON will send through a certificate of insurance to you confirming that you are on cover. This certificate will contain your personal details and have a unique identifier for the policy. ODON will also retain your email and telephone number in order to contact you directly should a college closure occur.

Do I need to retain my certificate?

Yes, please retain your certificate. This is your proof that you are insured and your course fees are protected. You do not, however, need to produce this document in the event of a college closure and a claim being made. If you have any questions in relation to your insurance please contact ODON.

Who should I contact should my college close?

Please contact ODON and quote your certificate number and confirm your college name in the event of a claim. ODON and Hiscox will then be able to assist you through the process of either relocating you with another college or refunding the due fees.


O’Driscoll O’Neil Ltd. t/a O’Driscoll O’Neil is regulated by The Central Bank of Ireland

For further information

Please contact a member of the ODON Educational Team for further information:

Amy Guinan                           01 6395812       

Chris Anako                             01 6395853       

Hugh O’Brien                          01 6395861       

Deborah Locke                        01 6395878       

Grainne Cuddy                        01 6395811       


O’Driscoll O’Neil Ltd. t/a O’Driscoll O’Neil is regulated by The Central Bank of Ireland